Not that Jersey City needs any more hype, but it’s grown into New York’s sixth borough, and there’s more to come: Roseland Residential Trust has begun leasing on three waterfront luxury rentals.
Here are 7 reasons why people who move to Jersey City stay here:
1. Quick to Manhattan: Practically speaking, Jersey City is an extension of Manhattan. The PATH is a 30-minute commute to Midtown, but the new Harborside ferry is even faster: a 15 minute NY Waterway to Midtown and 8 minutes to Brookfield Place downtown.
2. Views: It also features views of the Hudson side of the Manhattan skyline — especially awe-inspiring while walking, running, or biking on the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, a well-lit space that stretches for 18 miles.
3. Top-rated chow and spirits: There’s Piggyback Bar, owned by famed Chef Leah Cohen and husband/partner Ben Byruch; award-winning Razza, known for its pizza; the Brownstone Diner and Pancake Factory, known for its all-day breakfast in a retro setting; Lutze beer garden; new American comfort food at Amelia’s Bistro; designer cocktails and refuge at The Archer, and plenty of fun tasting festivals.
4. Shopping: There is a terrific mix of specialty boutiques all over the city, particularly along Grove Street and Newark Avenue, featuring Tia’s, Kanibal & Co., and Mint Market — and multiple farmer’s markets throughout the city. Of course, a major perk is the Newport Centre Mall — 1.2 million square feet of retail with 130 stores, including Macy’s, H&M, Sephora and an 11-screen AMC movie theater.
5. IRS-friendly: Since New York City residents pay a New York City tax, which can range from 2.9 to 3.9 percent of your income, renting in New Jersey can save you about 3 percent of your income — even if you continue to work in the city. New Jersey’s income tax rate is also significantly lower than New York’s 4 percent — as low as 1.4 percent.
6. Art and music: There’s the Jersey City Ballet and Jersey City Theater Center; the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District’s Groove on Grove, which features musicians and performers every Wednesday night in the summer at the PATH plaza; the All About Downtown Street Fair, which draws more than 30,000 people in September, and the Novado Art Gallery.
7. Luxury living: The best incentive is price. Currently available from Roseland Residential Trust are rentals in high-rise luxury apartment buildings located near the Jersey City waterfront: Monaco, Marbella, and M2. One bedrooms start at $2,750.
For more information, visit the Roseland website.