As Jersey City continues to become home to more modern residential developments, some of the city’s oldest structures are being torn down in order to clear the way.
For instance, a three-story building used to stand at 34-36 Jones Street in Journal Square. The structure, located between Newkirk and Sip Avenues, was constructed in 1870 and was occupied by numerous companies and organizations over the years such as Facade Architecture, Hudson Pride Connections, and the Hudson-Liberty Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
Then, in June 2017, a company simply known as JUD, LLC acquired the property for $1.5 million, according to NJ Parcels records. Public records obtained by Jersey Digs show that gas line work was conducted on the premises by PSE&G in November 2017 and that a month later, Winston Consultants, Inc. applied to conduct a $40,000 demolition of the structure. A permit was granted on December 7 and, after 148 years, the building was torn down shortly after by IBN Construction Corp. of Newark. Although the site failed a progress inspection on December 18, it passed during a subsequent visit in January.
Now, what the new owners of 34-36 Jones Street are planning to do with the property has been revealed. The premises, which are located on a largely residential block in Ward C near Hudson County Community College and the PATH, could become the site of a five-story mixed-use building.
During its meeting today, the Jersey City Planning Board is scheduled to hear a proposal by JUD, LLC for Preliminary and Final Site Plan approval with six deviations in connection with the project, including front yard setback and minimum sidewalk width. The development is slated to include 10 units along with retail space on the ground floor. If approved, it would be the first building on the block to contain retail space.
The board’s meeting will begin tonight at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.