About a century ago, a small suburban hospital in Orange, became a sprawling, world-class medical facility funded by the era’s most famous philanthropists. But this landmark institution had a tragic, mysterious ending.
As the nation braces for a “dark winter” of coronavirus, we look back on how New Jersey managed epidemics over the last century.
The oldest-standing public school in Newark is getting a long-awaited restoration and will continue its legacy educating young people of color.
Jack the Ripper, the infamous 19th-century serial killer, was in the news last month when someone claimed to know his identity. What many don’t know is that Newark had its own “Jack the Ripper” scare a century ago.
When it opened in 1928, The Stanley Theater in Journal Square was one of the greatest old movie palaces and the second-largest on the East Coast, next to Radio City. After years of neglect, the theater was purchased by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society who transformed it into a prized house of worship.
In 1890, the Kastners bought a plot of land in what was then the German district, and hired a talented, but lost-in-time architect to build them a "beer-baron mansion" with Franz’s initials – FJK – etched over the doorway, a feature that came crashing down earlier this year.
What better way to enshrine the lessons we’ve learned from decades of mass incarceration than by transforming the remnants of Newark’s first penitentiary into a gathering place — be it a museum or community center — that might bring about the end of a problematic legacy.
In Newark, onlookers in the dark hours of the morning, watched a century-old statue of Christopher Columbus removed from a plinth at the mayor’s orders. The city’s last statue of Columbus is still standing in the North Ward, but many believe it is only a matter of time before the 15th-century explorer tastes the waters of the Passaic River.
Two Newark organizations and the Newark Public Library have collaborated to place signs on historic homes throughout the Forest Hill neighborhood in the North Ward.
A project to restore the historic Grove Street building revealed some interesting history.