Hoboken is one step closer to building a new public works facility that will also pave the way for a major development to move forward near the city’s southern border.
During their February 2 meeting, Hoboken’s city council voted 7-0-2 to approve a design contract for what will become a new Department of Public Works and City Hall Annex project. The current public works facility at 256 Observer Highway is now owned by Ironstate Development following a legal settlement with the city.
Ironstate has proposed a 360-unit development under their Urby brand for that block-long property. While the project was approved last year, Hoboken needs to vacate the current building before the land can be redeveloped and has until November 2024 to do so.
The city is targeting a lot at 1501 Adams Street for the new DPW and annex facility, a parcel currently occupied by a one-story building formerly home to the Poggi Press. The council’s vote awarded a $1.7 million contract to local firm Nastasi Architects for “design development of a modern public works facility and municipal annex” at the property.
Nastasi Architects is certainly familiar with Hoboken infrastructure, as the company designed both the city’s first wet weather pump station near the train station and the PSE&G substation that was built several years ago on Monroe Street.
The company’s proposal says that a submission will be made to the planning board laying out their vision for the new DPW and annex sometime before the end of March.