According to documents from the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, the four-story brownstone at 24 Monticello Avenue, just off of Bramhall Avenue in Ward F, is slated to be rehabilitated into six residential rental units.
CAPC NJ Asset Stabilization Fund #1, LLC, which is affiliated with New Jersey Community Capital’s Community Asset Preservation Corporation (CAPC), is listed as the project developer. The organization is planning to reserve the units for at least 15 years for “households who qualify as low or moderate income,” which, based on the standard from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, is 50-80% of the area’s median income. Funding from the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs’ (DCA) Neighborhood Enhancement Program will be sought for the project.
According to records from the DCA, the brownstone was built in 1870, and during the rehabilitation, the entire structure will be gutted. The project was designed by Jersey City-based C+C Architecture. Sheetrock, kitchen appliances, new windows, exterior siding, and more will be installed. The roof will also be repaired. When complete, according to the DCA records, a kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, and living space are planned for each unit.
The CAPC is responsible for several other projects across the region, including the proposed rehabilitation of the former Saint Michael’s Hospital in Newark into educational and art space, the All Saints Condominiums in a former Jersey City catholic school, and the Lincoln Park Condominiums in Newark.
The building, which is owned by the JCRA, has been vacant for at least a decade. The 0.041-acre site is within walking distance from New Jersey Transit bus service, Arlington Park, and the Martin Lither King, Jr. Drive Station on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.