Historic Church in Newark’s Ironbound Section Sells for $2.5 Million

0
Assembly Of God Church 178 184 Edison Place Newark
Assembly of God Church, 178-184 Edison Place, Newark. Photo via Google Maps/Street View.

A church situated at one of the gateways to Newark’s Ironbound neighborhood is now under new ownership.


The property at 178-184 Edison Place near Ferry Street and Newark Penn Station was sold in December 2020 for $2.5 million, according to Essex County deed filings. The site is home to the building that was originally home to the Second Reformed Dutch Church, but later contained the Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church and the Assembly of God Church.

The deed indicates that a company simply named 178-184 Edison Place, LLC acquired the premises from the non-profit Assembly of God Church, Portuguese Ministry of Elizabeth, Inc.

178-184 Edison Place, LLC is now listed as the property owner in municipal tax filings, but few details are known about the business or its intentions for the site. The LLC was incorporated in September 2020 out of Roseland, according to the New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services.

This church is listed on the New Jersey and National registers of historic places. The nomination form for the latter register says that the building dates back to 1848, noting that it “has firm historical connections with immigration history of Newark.”

--

Have something to add to this story? Email [email protected].

Click here to sign up for Jersey Digs' free emails and news alerts. Stay up-to-date by following Jersey Digs on Twitter and Instagram, and liking us on Facebook.

No posts to display